Sunday, December 31, 2006

The Sun report that Saddam Hussein is dead with the gloating 'Iraq butcher sent to hell'. It wouldn't surprise me if NewsCorp actually have a foreign correspondent down there filing an exclusive report... In other 'unpleasant dictator' news, Fidel is looking rather peeky too.

The Independent and the Daily Mail both report on the New Years Honours, the day after Hussein was hung we find out that John Scarlett, who wrote the tissue of lies or 'dodgy dosier' with which Tony Blair made his fallacious case for invading Iraq, has been knighted. So who says crime doesn't pay?

There's an article in The Observer on diaries and those who keep them. I've kept a journal since September 1994, when I went to university, it's part of the reason I don't treat either this blog or my LJ as straight diaries either. This article does at least reassure me as to the mundanity of my recollections, as Samuel Pepys and Bart Simpson know, what seems normal today will baffle and amaze the people of the future, so presuming the Quiverfulls don't kill everyone first we may all have some fame after our deaths.

I received Michael Palin's first set of diaries for Christmas and am about halfway through. As he observes himself, there is next to nothing about Monty Python's early years in there, it only starts cropping up with any regularity when they've reached the third series, started to make the Monty Python films, touring the stage show, making the album and bickering about making the TV show until they aren't any more. It goes to show that we will never know what may be important down the line, I did realise the 11th of September 2001 was going to cause trouble for someone somewhere, although at the time I don't think I realised the scale of the ambitions of Bush and Blair for global change. A quick flick through the diary for 2005 doesn't reveal much of the depression that I remember as being the key thing about last year, someone who read it not knowing me might have been a bit surprised when I wrote in January this year that I was seeing a counsellor about it. Still, when I came round to compiling a list of things I'd done or experienced in 2006 that made me happy I came up with twenty things but it took me all day to remember them, and that was without looking at my diary, so who knows what's happened that never makes it in to the pages.

Labels: , , , , ,


|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?