Monday, July 25, 2005

Can Christian Voice afford to go up to the Fringe and protest do you think?

The list of cabaret acts appearing across [Edinburgh's] hundreds of fringe venues next month is littered with provocatively titled shows and many top comedians have declared their intention to flout new legislation which will outlaw 'incitement to religious hatred'... Among those who will be using the festival to test the workability of the bill is Stewart Lee, co-creator of the controversial musical Jerry Springer: The Opera. 'I had wanted to call my show Stewart Lee Likes to Incite Religious Hatred, but I thought it was such a bad, woolly law, that it would not still be around by the summer,' he said. His show, now called Nineties Comedian, will run at The Underbelly venue. 'I have tried to write the most indefensibly blasphemous show there could possibly be,' he said. 'A lot of it is a dialogue between me and Jesus about what counts as acceptable forms of expression. It ends with Jesus asking my forgiveness.'

There's no mention of whether he plans to try and piss off Muslims as well.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?