Monday, December 06, 2004

Tories finally get with the program and call for Blunkett to resign. But to do so in this manner is akin to Clair Short dithering about whether to resign or not over the Iraq war and then come away with no credibility at all (and it's not like the Conservative party has massive credit at the credibility bank right now). They are not suggesting he should step down because a bitter access battle with a former lover over the paternity of two children he believes he fathered while cuckolding (and if nothing else, it's so great to be able to use a word I thought I'd never use again once I finished studying Shakespeare at school) another man might distract him from the business of guiding through legislation to take away the country's few remaining rights. Nor are they, at this late juncture, suggesting that someone who's committed adultery and fathered children is not right to hold a position of moral leadership in this country. But by having people on their own side like Teresa May insist personal morality is not an issue in this, then insist that David Blunkett should resign, even if his little Butler-tastic internal inquiry with a very small remit, finds him guilty or not, well they don't really have much of a leg to stand on. If they painted a broader picture, taking all his crimes and misdemeanors into account, then they'd have a case. But of course, they're not putting much effort into attacking the Home Secretary because he's only been caught doing what they were all caught doing in the 1990s and in his policy platform he's the best Homse Secretayr they've never had. They want him there to continue a Conservative policy agenda in a Labour government.

Much more disturbingly, last night I dreamt I worked for George W. Bush. I was at an open-air dinner in a courtyard at my old school. A disabled man on a moped/electric wheelchair had just gone past our table with a horn that was continually blaring when suddenly a massive wind blew up from nowhere, sending us all scattering inside. I lived on the site and went back to what was apparently my flat. Inside was a courier with a dinner set gift for the President's wife. The note said that it was from a super-hero team I knew doesn't exist. So I took the note (the wind having gone by now) to the Presidential appartment, another building on the school campus. I found my way to where Shrubya and Mrs Shrubya were sitting. They seemed rather stiff, as if they had just received some bad news, and she didn't seem much happier when I gave her the note but she told me to bring the dinner set to her. However, when I got back to my place I found my posessions were being impounded by the Department of Homeland Security for investigation for suspicious material and that I was suspended while this was going on. When I complained and said I would resign so I could take my stuff and leave the trooper loading the cart said that in that case they'd arrest me and send me to Camp X-Ray with 'all the other dissidents'. It was as I was looking past him to see there were lots of appartments being emptied in to Government vans that my alarm went off.

I have been watching a lot of The West Wing recently. I guess that, even in my dreams, I don't believe the American people would vote in a left-wing liberal to office.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?