Monday, October 04, 2004

So, the Closed Library reopened today. Absolutely manic. I guess I'd come to perceive my job, due to the council not giving a toss and all those arguments with members of the public who think that public servents are less than the crap on my shoe, as slightly pointless. I didn't think they'd come flooding in, I didn't expect any of them to either notice or care about the effort that had been put in to the place. I spent last week telling people "keep a note for yourself, I bet negative complaints outweigh the positive ones by a ton". It seems I was wrong on all counts. The community does care about whether we're there or not. We had, allegedly, several thousand people flitting past the counters (so, divide by three and that's still over one thousand people by mid-afternoon). Positive comments about the new look library seems to have outnumbered the complaints, most of which come from people who could stand before the throne of God and sniff "Showy aren't you? Stand up straight. Call Yourself a deity?" When we explained that there are books which won't go out for a couple of weeks so as to get a decent turnaround of stock, that was accepted. Lots of people coming to join the library as well, that was all some staff were doing all day, which we didn't expect.

Of course, this isn't what the future will be like. And hurrah for that. Things will settle down and could do so as soon as tomorrow. But for today I felt like I was part of a team that made a positive contribution to the local community and was valued as such. Thanks to everyone who made that possible.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?