Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Nips, I definitely have a cold, my traditional Autumn cold. Still, this time I've worked out the best way to get through it: replace my natural slow-moving foolish immune system with enough aspirin to make me higher than Shrubya ever managed until the cold slinks off ashamed.

I was trying to think of black acts that have managed to do well in British charts doing rap music. Plums argued for Outkast, Missy, and Kelis. I agreed on Missy, but I argued that Outkast, Kelis and NERD have only had success over here when they've effectively dumped the rap aspect, 'Hey Ya' isn't rap, big success, whatever it was that Big Boi followed up with, didn't noticeably rock the stratosphere. The only time NERD trouble the charts is when they dump the rap for a sing-song round the old Joanna. Kelis, 'Milkshake' and 'Trick Me' aren't rap either (I don't know anything else she's done apart from that 'I Hate You So Much Right Now' song to know if you can define her as rap at all). Dre and the Wu-Tang Clan only have any chart troubling action when they either get their white boyfriend to do a big rap in the middle of the song (which seems to be the only reason D12 have any luck as well) or when they intersperse their rapping with lots of singing.

Flyboy, you know much more about the music scene than I do, is this some particular breed of racism? Anything that seems to much like rap music=black=bad, if it seems like what we know as songs='R'n'B=good?

We went to Forbidden Planet looking for 'Dykes to Watch Out For' as we'd seen a dead spit for Ginger in the basement of First Out. They didn't seem to know what I was talking about. And Plums said that several heads turned when I said "Dykes". God I hate Forbidden Planet. Even more so with the fact that China Mieville is signing The Iron Council there, Saturday after next, the bastard.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?