Monday, June 07, 2004

Had an appointment to let a short Indian man poke me with sharp things in my mouth for half an hour this morning, and paid him £50 to do it! I feel there should be some sort of deal where you get to deduct a pound every time they 'accidentally' touch a nerve. He must have been crap playing Operation as a child.

Anyway, this afternoon I headed into town to walk the streets once more. The tube has had a chance to warm up now, whereas it wasn't too bad last week it's now reached 'warm oven' status, when the train is out in the open you get a definite listing effect as everyone rushes to the side that is in the shade. This time it was to Islington, in the north-east of the central part of the city, for a three mile walk from the Angel tube station to Holloway Road tube station. What I didn't realise until I arrived at both stations is that I'd used them before, so I had that weird moment of wondering why somewhere looked familiar before working it out. With the Angel, I'd gone into the area via bus for Stoatie's wedding, and Holloway Road tube I'd once used for a pub meet at the nearby Hobgoblin, organised by Butch Julie if memory served.

It was only a three mile walk, but with the hot and dry weather it was quite energy sapping. I also suspect that as the walk I was doing strangely stopped in the middle of nowhere by Highbury Fields, with notes to the effect of where the nearest tube and train stations in relation to it were, which was about another mile on, that I may have walked more than three miles. But the weather really necessitated dashing from shade to shade and to avoid direct sunlight whenever possible. I really don't know how Angel manages to live in LA.

It did give me a chance to see the controversial 'London Metropolitan University Post Graduate Centre' near Holloway Road tube station.




I liked it, though if once you go inside the floors aren't also slanted like the villain's lair in an episode of Batman I shall be most disappointed. However, it does seem a bit haphazard and can hardly be the most effective use of the space. The architect Daniel Libeskind comes up with a load of meaningless cobblers about the place here (and no doubt soon to appear in Private Eye's 'Pseud's Corner'), but there is an interesting article from Architecture Week here.

But 'Post Graduate', isn't that what you call people who have left the University? Why do they have their own building?

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?