Sunday, May 09, 2004

Ooooh, I've just got back from the V&A and I have a feeling I'll be going back there soon.

Anyway, went to the Victoria and Albert today with K and Janina to see the Vivienne Westwood. Being spiritually akin to 'Reel 2 Reel (featuring the Mad Stuntman)' I like to move it move it and tend to breeze through exhibitions quickly. I also didn't feel I had any great affinity to Westwood's work, although I knew her as a figure from the prehistory of civilisation and so was mainly going because I had nothing better to do this afternoon. Still, I had a great time, more than I thought I would, and a big hugsnshout to Janina for explaining some of what we saw, helping me to a much greater appreciation than I would have had on my own.

The exhibition was split over two rooms, though I think that was really just because of the space the V&A had available at the time than some great clever reason. Room one was Westwood the punk, the 'Sex' and 'Seditionaries' years, and her early fashion years up to 1990. So there was lots of simple stuff, t-shirts and hijacked bondage and leather gear. And some of the early collections, such as the now dated New Romantic/pirate gear. Very nice. And over the speakers was a load of punk, the only track I can recall off the top of my head was 'Oh Bondage! Up Yours!' but there was loads of other stuff of the type that is now safe and put out on 'The Best... Punk... Album in the World Ever!' compilations.

Room Two was bigger and better, the post 1990 stuff which apparently was when Westwood became a 'proper' designer. The room was black with a quieter chill-out room soundtrack, some 'Airports'-era Eno, Holst's 'Neptune', very nice. I wouldn't have thought it would have worked beforehand but I don't know anything about Westwood so, who am I to say? To be sidetracked for a minute, I hate it when places exhibit stuff and don't tell you what the music you hear is. Maybe if I bought one of the programs it would be in there but by the exit door they thank everyone who was involved, but they don't tell you the music you've heard.

Anyway, there were samples from each of Westwood's collections post-90, it was a mix of some great stuff, often in silk and/or distressed bondage gear, and some absolutely awful stuff, mainly involving tartans and tweeds. Some of it I wanted to steal, some of it I wanted to burn. Three big wonderfully overlarge evening gowns took centre stage. One of the best exhibitions I've seen in a while, and well laid out, even if you think you have no interest it's well worth checking out if you're around.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?