Tuesday, April 06, 2004

I expect that it's just one of those rumours that gets distorted as it travels around blogs, but I thought I'd heard it said it was possible to go home from work in the evening happy and satisfied having achieved things during your day.

Bah! I'm now doing non-fiction ordering for my sub-group of libraries in the borough which means attending weekly buying meetings where we go through the CD-ROM with the new titles on and choose what we want and where. Obviously this isn't excitement on a par with living or breathing, but it gets me out of the library for a bit. The one drawback is it's first thing in the morning in another branch which is right over the other side of the borough, so this is one of the few times when it would be advantageous of me to drive (unlike the other thirty or so days in the month when a car would just get in the way). So it looks like I've got to get up early to catch either the series of buses to get me to my destination or the series of tube trains.

Guh! After weeks of waiting I've finally been told I can start my fiction ordering for The Closed Library. Never mind that I should have been doing this a month ago, at least we've got a pretty good chance that if we order books now then we should have them all ready to go into The Closed Library when we start moving back in in the Summer. Only, we can't start ordering stock. The problem now is that our passwords have all been sent to our email addresses that have been set up on the Council server. Only we can't access our email addresses because I.T. probably quite rightly, don't think it's their highest priority to sort out how to persuade Outlook to accept our roaming log-in profiles on the Council server. So I'm still as stuck as I was a week ago, only now in a different way.

Feh! The council must be wondering if it's ever going to be able to close any of our libraries. The two earmarked to go have been saved and apparently the public want consultation over the closure. I know that I really should support public consultation over the matter but I can't see that the council has room for manouever on this. But there are harsh truths which the public need to hear here. Every day these libraries remain open because they can't be bothered to get off their arses and walk or drive for what is genuinely five or ten minutes to the next nearest library means there is less chance we can buy new stock to go in their libraries. This borough already has a higher proportion of libraries to inhabitants than the average or mandated minimum. I obviously don't want libraries to shut and the council have pulled a dirty trick by funding them from the book fund but I'm thinking the problem is not so much one that can be resolved by sacking the council and voting in a new one but by sacking the public instead.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?