Thursday, July 10, 2003

When it comes to piracy, I view it as a similar thing to borrowing something from the library. I use it, not as a means of not buying something necessarily, but trying it out to decide whether to buy it. Most things I borrow from the library I then decide not to buy for myself, this is completely natural. on the pirated material I have come into contact with, 'Equilibrium' is just as if I'd taken it out from the library. If I wasn't able to borrow the DVD I'd never buy it, so a purchase hasn't been lost. With the music on my hard disk I consider that the albums I have on there right now are going to be bought later on, the exception being music that isn't commercially available, like Radiohead's Salamanca concert from last year. Again, these are albums I originally first borrowed from the library, I wouldn't have bought them without checking them first, so no sale has been lost.

Sorry, this sounds like desperate self-justification for something doesn't it. Look at this instead, Music fans who download songs from the internet go on to buy more albums, a survey has suggested. File-swapping is being used as quality control, not replacing the act of buying an album. Well, not always.

|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?